Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: [reiserfs-list] major security bug in reiserfs (may affect SuSE Linux)

From: Chris Mason <mason () SUSE COM>
Date: Tue, 9 Jan 2001 19:51:23 -0500

On Wednesday, January 10, 2001 12:42:01 AM +0100 Marc Lehmann
<pcg () goof com> wrote:

We are still investigating, but there seems to be a major security problem
in at least some versions of reiserfs. Since reiserfs is shipped with
newer versions of SuSE Linux and the problem is too easy to reproduce and
VERY dangerous I think alerting people to this problem is in order.

Sorry, a quick attempt at reproducing on 2.2.17 and 2.2.19 kernels did not
cause an oops.  Could you please send me a decoded version of the oops to
help track things down?

thanks,
Chris