Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Glibc Local Root Exploit

From: Charles Stevenson <csteven () NEWHOPE TERRAPLEX COM>
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2001 16:07:13 -0700

on 1/10/01 1:34 PM, KraZee . at krazee () lycos com wrote:

Hello, I run a few slackware boxes and I've tested this vulnerability. Is
there a patch? I haven't seen any vendor patches for this problem yet. I'm
also wondering if this hole is only limited to suids that use environmental
variables (ssh?), the reason I ask is because I was only able to duplicate the
bug by running ssh as root, since its not suid on my systems it didnt read
/etc/shadow. Thanks and I look forward to your reply.

In resolv/res_hconf.c, in the function _res_hconf_init, replace the getenv
call for ENVHOST iirc, (#define for RESOLV_HOST_CONF), with __secure_getenv.

Also I would like to say thanks to Jakub Jelinek as Ben Collins pointed out
my error.

New packages for Yellow Dog 2.0 prerelease, for those of you testing should
be in ruffpack very soon now. In the mean time I would suggest changing the
permissions on all suid/sgid binaries that do host name lookups. Or some of
the other fine suggestions that have been posted. As has been pointed out
this is an old bug that was fixed and has come back.

Cheers,
Charles Stevenson

- Mark
--