Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Mac OS 9 Multiple Users Control Panel Password Vulnerability

From: "K. M. Ellis" <protozoa () TUX ORG>
Date: Tue, 2 Jan 2001 13:04:25 -0500

On Fri, 29 Dec 2000, Todd Kirby wrote:

Mac OS 9.04 comes with a 'Multiple Users' Control
Panel that allows an administrator (called 'Owner') to
create user accounts (called 'Normal' users) with
limited access to the computer.

I'd like to point out that if your Mac is configured to share out
your system folder with any level of access, you're screwed regardless of
which OS version you're running.

As far back as OS 7.6.1 (and probably earlier) your Users and Groups
preferences file has all user and administrator passwords encoded using
wimpy 40-bit DES encryption.  You don't want any users getting into it.

Thanks for taking the time to point this vulnerability out, but I consider
it yet _another_ reason not to share out the system folder.

It should also be stated that this vulnerability probably applies to Mac
9.x systems running Appleshare IP, although I have no way to test this.

Respectfully submitted,

-K

--
  Kathleen M. Ellis, P.A.B.  -- KB3CWP -- http://www.tux.org/~protozoa