Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: fingerprinting BIND 9.1.0

From: "William D. Colburn (aka Schlake)" <wcolburn () NMT EDU>
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2001 08:15:01 -0700

The FAQ file that comes with the distribution already covers all this.
While it used to seem like a good idea to obfuscate version numbers,
things like nmap can be written for just about any internet service
which would make version obfuscation just a false sense of security.
Even if your version is obscured, a known exploit will still work
against it if someone tries.  I agree with the BIND people that there
isn't much point in hiding that information.