Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: How Google indexed a file with no external link

From: "W. Craig Trader" <ct7 () unicornsrest org>
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2001 10:15:19 -0400

Kevin ...

I can tell you what's causing it, and how to disable it, but I can't point you to specific documentation about it.

Kevin wrote:

Looking a bit deeper, I saw googlebot (and later, some ordinary vistors)
using this syntax:

        http://handsonhowto.com/?M=A
        http://handsonhowto.com/?S=D

...and if you try this yourself in Internet Explorer, you'll find that Apache is ignoring my index.html and is giving you a formatted directory of the docroot directory as though there were no index page.

The differences between the ?M and the ?S versions are not blatantly
obvious, at least not to me.

This is a "feature" of the Apache autoindex module:

http://httpd.apache.org/docs/mod/mod_autoindex.html

When you turn on FancyIndexing, the index page includes links for sorting the directory by Name, file Size, Modification date/time, etc. You can disable this by setting IndexOptions +SuppressColumnSorting for any/all directories that have indexing enabled. These links are apparently interpreted by apache even if the directory has an index page. Bad Apache -- no biscuit.

<Directory />
    Options FollowSymLinks
    AllowOverride None
</Directory>

<Directory /home/http/bcc/images>
    Order Deny,Allow
    Deny from All
    AllowOverride AuthConfig
</Directory>

<Directory "/home/http">
    AllowOverride None
    Order allow,deny
    Allow from all
</Directory>

<IfModule mod_dir.c>
    DirectoryIndex index.html
</IfModule>

<IfModule mod_autoindex.c>
    IndexOptions FancyIndexing
# Bunch of defaults provided by Apache - snipped
    ReadmeName README
    HeaderName HEADER
    IndexIgnore .??* *~ *# HEADER* README* RCS CVS *,v *,t
</IfModule>

I would recommend reading the auto_index module docs and altering your settings for <Directory "/home/httpd"> accordingly.

- Craig -

--
============= Excellence is a journey, not a destination =============
=============== W. Craig Trader <ct7 () unicornsrest org> ===============