Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Small TCP packets == very large overhead == DoS?

From: Pavel Machek <pavel () ucw cz>
Date: Mon, 9 Jul 2001 11:59:28 +0000

Hi!

If any of you have tested what happens to the ability of a box to
perform well when it has a small MTU you will know that setting the
MTY to (say) 56 on a diskless thing is a VERY VERY bad idea when NFS
read/write packets are generally 8k in size.  Do not try it on a NFS
thing unless you plan to reboot it, ok ?  Last time I did this was
when I worked out you could fragment packets inside the TCP header
and that lesson was enough for me ;_)

AFAI can remember, there's minimum MTU defined for IP (something like 576)...
...and then there are networks like hamradio that use lower MTU. They are
really non-compliant, but Linux wants them to work.
                                                                Pavel