Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: MALWARE HOAX FW: Microsoft Security Bulletin MS01-039

From: "Nick FitzGerald" <nick () virus-l demon co uk>
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2001 23:33:17 +1200

"Robert D. Hughes" wrote:

First of all, here's the headers:
<<snip>>
Now, they've obviously taken an actual MS bulleting and used the text, right
down including a pgp key and they've incremented it from the previous
bulletin. The first thing I noticed is that the entire message is
double-spaced. Not a lot, but it was different from every other bulletin I've
gotten. The obvious give away is the address they've used to for the fix, as
well specifying a particular file to download. The bulletin page of course is
404.

Apart from the double-spacing and the 404 error on the non-existant
security bulletin, this same trick was used a few days (week?) ago
to advertise/distribute a (then) new Win32/Leave variant (that worm
that spreads via SubSeven machines that the NIPC were so worked up
about a couple of weeks back).

The netblock is owned by LYCOS in Europe and points to a tripod page, with an
att.net account used to send the mail, and relevant parties have been cc'ed
as well. And apparently the user name associated with the site is hicagogppr.

From my limited experience, I can tell very little about the file other than
it appears to connect to a remote web site. This comes from running strings
against the file. It also appears to go after napster and icq accounts, but I
can't tell what else it does. I think the most important thing is that
scanning it with the latest virus signatures from Norton comes up clean, so a
user would not be notified that they are running an infected file.

If someone with the knowledge and experience will, please do a full analysis
on this and let me know what it is. I'm pretty much a rank newbie at this, as
you can probably tell ;) I searched the bugtraq archives, but didn't find
anything on this, so if its known, I apologize.
<<snip>>

Sounds like a new Leave variant.  Please send a copy to your
preferred antivirus vendor.  To possibly save you the search time,
the sample submission addresses of the better-known developers are:

   Command Software               <virus () commandcom com>
   Computer Associates (US)       <virus () cai com>
   Computer Associates (Vet/IPE)  <ipevirus () vet com au>
   DialogueScience (Dr.Web)       <Antivir () dials ru>
   Eset (NOD32)                   <trnka () eset sk>
   F-Secure Corp.                 <samples () f-secure com>
   Frisk Software                 <viruslab () complex is>
   Kaspersky Labs                 <newvirus () avp ru>
   Network Associates (US)        <virus_research () nai com>
   Norman (NVC)                   <analysis () norman no>
   Sophos Plc.                    <support () sophos com>
   Symantec                       <avsubmit () symantec com>
   Trend Micro                    <virus_doctor () trendmicro com>

--
Nick FitzGerald
Computer Virus Consulting Ltd.