Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: "Code Red" worm - there MUST be at least two versions.

From: Ryan Russell <ryan () securityfocus com>
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2001 15:38:04 -0600 (MDT)

On Fri, 20 Jul 2001, Don Papp wrote:

      I wonder if I have seen this variant - a person I emailed has a
server whose web pages served looks a lot like the Code Red worm's output
(1 line of simple html) displaying

      FUCK CHINA GOVERNENT
      and p0isonb0x (or something like that)

      On a black background.  The web files themselves are untouched.

      Actually I have the source of what it spits out:

align="center"><font size=7 color=red>fuck CHINA
color=red>contact:sysadmcn () yahoo com cn</html>

I would tend to assume that isn't a variant of the worm.  It's certainly
not CRv1 or CRv2.  The HTML is about 40 bytes longer than that in Code
Red, so it would be a bit more than simply changing the HTML code in the
worm and relaunching; you'd have to adjust the content length reference,
and a number of other items.  I would think it's non-trivial.

I would think this was a hand-done response to Code Red.

                                        Ryan