Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: KaZaA + Morpheus sharing files

From: Stefan Laudat <stefan () worldbank ro>
Date: Sun, 29 Jul 2001 12:08:09 +0300

I've found a bug in Kazaa 1.3.1 and Morpheus 1.3.  I'll refer to them as K/M.  I've found this bug to occur when the
download directory is changed from the default "My Shared Folder" to something else.

Looks to me like a feature, not a bug. As long as I'm changing the
path to wherever I want (either I disable or enable sharing) it's
my fault as user. Kazaa comes with a standard target folder so the
default installation *IS HARMLESS*.

Connect to http://yourip:1214 in your web browser and you should see some files.  If you don't, try changing your
downloaded folders location to something like c:\ or c:\windows.
Workarounds include keeping the download directory at the default My Shared Folder, using a firewall to block
incoming requests to port 1214 and checking the box that says Disable file sharing with other Kazaa/Morpheus users in
the Downloads and uploads tab.

Once more this shows that Kazaa is not an 'idiot-proof' program like
many other :(.

My .02 ROL in their descent to hell.

--
Stefan Laudat