Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: TXT or HTML? -- IE NEW BUG

From: Aaron Bentley <abentley () panoramicfeedback com>
Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2001 15:46:29 -0400

In my experience, file extension supercedes MIME type in IE.

I have noted several cases where servers were misconfigured, and yet IE
rendered external files correctly.  In one case, it was an ASX file (the

ActiveStreaming equivalent of a RAM file).  Netscape paid attention to
the MIME
type, and displayed the text in a browser window.  IE launched Windows
Media
Player.

This problem was later solved when the server was correctly configured.
It's possible this behavior was based on magic cookies, I suppose.  But
can they have cookies for every 1

I have also noted that cgi-generated PDF files are not handled correctly
in
some IE/Acrobat combinations, yet normal PDF files are handled
properly.  By
configuring an alias for the cgi program with a PDF extension, I was
able to
get IE to launch Acrobat properly.

Aaron

Justin Nelson wrote:
<snip>
**I don't think the actual file extension makes any difference on
remote
files**

Once IE determines that it is responsible for rendering the file
directly,
it will show it however it feels appropriate. It will do this by
completely
ignoring the MIME type and extension, rendering based on content
(exception:
text/html is *always* rendered as HTML, whether or not there are HTML
tags).