Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: The Dangers of Allowing Users to Post Images

From: "Dan Harkless" <dan-bugtraq () dilvish speed net>
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2001 09:40:43 -0700

Michal Szokolo <msz () kill-spammers pmp com pl> writes:
John Percival wrote:
I'm going to try and throw another issue into this discussion now too:
denial of service. We have discussed it for attacking remote servers, but
not for the client viewing the image. It's something else that I spotted
while I was playing around with this issue just now.

If you have images that include a mailto:me () my host somewhere com source,
then the default handler for mailto: links is opened up. Be that Outlook,
Netscape Composer, Eudora, or whatever else you care to use.

So if someone embedded 100 (arbitrary figure) mailto: images in a page,
then this would do a lot of harm to the user's computer. At best, it
would get very busy for a few minutes creating new emails, and would be
a pain to clear up. At worst, it could bring the whole system crashing
down.

Netscape 4.77 crashes at about 50 such IMG tags, IF they are different
(simply putting mailto:fakeluser@fakedomain 100 times won't work (opens
only 2 message windows)), but if you go with some script... instant
crash (try it now free of charge at http://msz.pmp.com.pl/boom/ ;-)).

Sorry for the very late reply to this thread, but in case anybody's
wondering whether the recently-released 4.78 fixes this bug, it does not.

When I visit the page, though (and perhaps on version 4.78 in general), it
doesn't crash until you click on the close box for one of the Composer
windows.

I tested on Win2K Pro.

Dan Harkless                   | To prevent SPAM contamination, please
dan-bugtraq () dilvish speed net  | do not mention this private email
SpeedGate Communications, Inc. | address in Usenet posts.  Thank you.