Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: New command execution vulnerability in myPhpAdmin

From: Mark Renouf <mark () tweakt net>
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2001 17:16:17 -0400

Carl Livitt wrote:

--/ Product: phpMyAdmin versions <= 2.2.0rc3
--/ Problem: Arbitrary remote command execution
--/ Severity: High
--/ Author: Carl Livitt (carl AT ititc DOT com)
--/ Date: 31 July 2001

This isn't so much a problem with phpMyAdmin as it is with PHP in general. I would HIGHLY recommend turning off register_globals in php.ini (which is the default in set in php.ini-dist for php4+). With that option disabled, the only thing that passing in extra parameters can do is create entries in the $HTTP_GET_VARS array, and it's not possible to clobber global script variables.

I tested this with my installation of phpMyAdmin 2.1.0 and it is not vulnerable to the attack that you
described, due to the settings I mentioned above.