Bugtraq mailing list archives

RE: Microsoft Security Bulletin MS01-030

From: "Toma Vailikit" <toma () vaitek com>
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2001 09:45:16 -0400

-----Original Message-----
From: Paul L Schmehl [mailto:pauls () utdallas edu]

snip...
We do not know if this will affect systems that do not use a-a-c.
snip...

Yes, it does affect non clustered Exchange servers in the same way. At
least this has been in my case. I don't know if this is a problem for
everyone that has applied this patch.

I noticed that store.exe was on a rampage this morning after I applied
this "patch" yesterday to the server. After a reboot, it took about 5
minutes or so to reproduce the same results with store.exe. So I
rebooted it again and removed the patch so my users would have an
exchange server to connect to.

Of course a server that is inaccessible is much more secure, but I think
we need a patch that doesn't take out the server as a means to remedy a
security hole.