Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Microsoft opening its source to selected parties

From: Dirk Bhagat <dirk () HOSTOPIA COM>
Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2001 11:09:43 -0500

It is not well known, but Microsoft has given the source to universities
and research labs for some years now. There has been a web page at
research.microsoft.com concerning this matter and describing the
procedure to get the code. However, I'm not aware that this has led to a
significant increase in system security. I don't remember, whether it's
allowed for the researchers to talk about the code or about problems
with it.

Here's the URL for the source-code licenses Tobias referred to. Although I
didn't see any explicit mention of not being able to discuss the code in the
open, it _does_ mention that licensees may share code with other licensees,
etc.

http://research.microsoft.com/programs/NTSrcLicInfo.asp

Dirk Bhagat.