Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Microsoft KB# to Advisory name mapping

From: Mark Maher <mmaher () OCHSNER ORG>
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2001 09:36:32 -0600

I believe SPQuery from St. Bernard Software will do this. See www.stbernard.com . It's a good product for managing SP's
and hotfixes, and does provide a lot of additional information.

Desmond Irvine <desmond.irvine () SHERIDANC ON CA> 03/22/01 01:17PM >>>
Does anyone know where I could find a table that would map the Microsoft
KB#'s that the hotfixes are associated with to the Advisory name
(MS##-###)?  I know XATO has a page something like what I want, but it
doesn't seem to be complete or up to date:

   http://www.xato.net/advisories/beta/win2k.htm

When looking at an NT server to determine what hotfixes have been
applied you can run "hotfix -l" to get a dialog box with the KB#'s in it
(Q147222, Q238606, etc.)  You can also scan the registry in
\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Hotfix
to get a similar listing some of which will have comments and fix
description keys that may or may not be useful in identifying the
advisories they are associated with.  What I ideally want to get is
something like:

MS00-086 - web server file request parsing vulnerabilty - Q277873

On a machine with unknown patches applied it can be a real pain to go
from the KB#'s to the MS Advisories.

Thanks, Desmond.