Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: /usr/bin/Mail buffer 0verfl0w

From: Marcus Meissner <Marcus.Meissner () CALDERA DE>
Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2001 11:20:19 +0100

On Fri, Mar 02, 2001 at 08:08:15PM -0800, Blue Boar wrote:
I noticed Caldera released a patch for mail today on Bugtraq.

"This security fix closes Caldera's internal Problem Report 9327."
http://www.securityfocus.com/archive/1/166232

Quite the coincidence.

There is none actually. We reacted on the bug he reported.

Our solution was just to drop the setgid mail bit, which we have been
shipping /bin/mail with.

Here's the vuln-dev thread:

http://securityfocus.com/templates/archive.pike?fromthread=1&list=82&threads=1&mid=165918&end=2001-03-03&start=2001-02-25&;

Seems that perhaps SosPiro should have been mentioned.  I realize that
vuln-dev doesn't exactly give vendors advanced notice due to the
way it works, but still...

I am sorry we missed giving credit this time.

Ciao, Marcus
--
     /  __/____/  /                Caldera (Deutschland) GmbH