Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: MailSweeper for SMTP Security Problem

From: "Gordon, Paul" <Paul.Gordon () GETRONICS COM>
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2001 17:56:31 +0800

From the look of Russ' e-mail, the problem has nothing to do with mail
relay, but instead with applying the correct scenario.

When Mailsweeper receives a message, it checks all scenarios for a match. If
the (supposed) sender is JoeBloggs () mydomain com and the receiver is
user () mydomain com, matches will be generated for both the Incoming and
Outgoing scenarios. So which scenario does Mailsweeper apply?

Now it comes down to scenario priority. If the scenarios are:

Incoming: *@* --> *@mydomain.com
Outgoing: *@mydomain.com --> *@*

then they both will have the same priority. This is because both scenarios
contain a fully wildcarded and an explicit entry. So since both scenarios
have the same priority, which scenario does Mailsweeper apply?

Now it comes down to the scenario folder's position in the scenario
hierarchy. The Outgoing scenario would only be applied if this scenario
appeared above the Incoming scenario in the hierarchy.

This processing is applied regardless of whether the sender's address is
spoofed or not.

Regards,

Paul Gordon              Getronics Solutions (S) PTE LTD
Security Consultant      1 International Business Park
                         The Synergy
Ph:  +65 890 2828        #02-14/15
Fax: +65 890 2888        Singapore 609917

Email: paul.gordon () getronics com