Bugtraq mailing list archives

RE: About the new IIS %252c bug.

From: Matt Rudge <mrudge () hcs ie>
Date: Wed, 16 May 2001 17:39:38 +0100

I have tested this on patched and unpatched IIS 4 & 5 servers and have found
some strange results also.  Several recently patched IIS5 servers that I
tested are not vulnerable to the Unicode bug (as would be expected), but are
vulnerable to this one.  Similarly with patched IIS4 servers I have tried.
However, I have tried one patched IIS4 server that proved not to be
vulnerable - the difference... none.  Apart from the fact that the
invulnerable server was the only one I actually, physically, patched myself.
But I can't remember what I did that would make a difference.

This is why, for all installations, I now put all executable directories on
a separate drive and rename the command interpreter.

Cheers

Matt