Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: MS IE Password inputs

From: "Mattie Casper" <mattie () mattie net>
Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2001 00:25:52 -0600

Very interesting find, and I can confirm the same thing happens in
IE6.

I can reproduce it by placing the cursor at the beginning of a
password typed-in like "1234 56789 0ABCDE FGHIJK" and then use
CTRL+RIGHTARROW to move through the asterisks just as if the spaces
were there. (CTRL+RIGHTARROW in some applications like IE will move
you to the next 'word' in a textbox.)

This can come in handy when I typo part of a password and don't want
to retype it all, but this does have some slight security
implications.
-Mattie!

Mattie Casper
http://me.mattie.net