Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: File extensions spoofable in MSIE download dialog

From: "'StatiC'" <static () tampabay rr com>
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2001 13:49:12 -0500

It appears only IE5.5 has this problem.  I just tested with IE5.0 sp2 and IE6 and both of those version prompt and wait
for user intervention for readme.txt and then wait a second time while prompting to ask to open/saveas calc.exe.

IE5.5 will prompt the user for the initial readme.txt but the next open dialog that appears for the .exe goes through
immediately without user intervention and executes.

I have tested 2 seperate IE5.5 systems(one was a new install with default IE5.5 sp2 settings) and they both execute the
calc.exe file without giving the user a choice after the initial readme.txt dialog.

StatiC