Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: ZoneAlarm Pro Local Internet not only Locally!

From: Justin Morgan <jmorgan () zonelabs com>
Date: 13 Nov 2001 00:36:58 -0000

Mailer: SecurityFocus

Hi,

As a technical support engineer for ZoneLabs I just
wanted to let all of you know that this report is
missing something important.

ZoneAlarm has two zones, the internet and the local
zone.  Any networks which are checked in the local
zone are considered trusted, and all network traffic
from those addresses will be allowed through the
firewall.

As an end-user it is EXTREMELY important you only
add addresses to your local zone that you trust.  This
would be your LAN addresses and no others
generally.

ZoneAlarm Pro asks you if you would like to trust the
network you connect to whenever you get DHCP
from a new DHCP server.  If you are connected to
the internet answer NO to this question when it
comes up.

If you follow these guidelines you will not be open as
described below.

Best regards,
Zone Labs Support

ZoneAlarm Pro is firewall for Windows home-users.

The following was tested with ZoneAlarm Pro latest
version: 2.6.357

I`m not sure if it also works with the free version but
I can't imagine
why it wouldn't.

Similair to Internet Explorer ZoneAlarm Pro (ZAP)
has security settings
for Local and Internet.

However ZAP in certain cases classifies
connections as Local when they
really aren't Local. All connections that have the
same 2 octets as your
IP (ex. Your ip 123.123.123.123 -> 123.123.*.*) are
also considered
Local.

This means everyone on with the same two first
octet's of your IP can
connect to your computer under local level security
settings instead of
the internet level security settings.

With default settings this will expose your computer
and all it's ports
plus opening and allow access to windows services
and shares. Users to
customize local level security to allow (and block)
whatever they want.

How did I discover this?

I installed a webserver and asked some friends to
view some pages but
they weren't able to connect. Zone Alarm Pro
blocked the http port I
found out. But this surprised me since I viewed my
http.acces and
http.error logife before I enabeled port 80 in ZAP and
already had a lot
of requests from servers infected with nimba. After
looking at the IP's
the first two octets were all the same.. the same as
mine.

Philip Wagenaar
The Netherlands
philip () netlogics nl