Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: ProFTPd and reverse DNS

From: "Karsten W. Rohrbach" <karsten () rohrbach de>
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2001 20:13:38 +0200

Matthew S . Hallacy(poptix () techmonkeys org)@2001.09.07 15:38:27 +0000:
Howdy,

      Recently while browsing through security logs I noticed that quite a few of the hosts
connecting to the machine did not resolve, I've checked into it, and apparently ProFTPd does
not check forward to reverse DNS mappings, and only resolves the IP address connecting. This
could easily lead to an attacker hiding his real hostname from logfiles, or an attacker
slipping through ACL's by modifying their hostname. For the time being I recommend that the
option 'UseReverseDNS' be disabled in the configuration file until this is fixed.

Unfortunately I was not able to contact anyone to discuss this, as www.proftpd.org has been
down for the past 4-5 days that I've tried it, the version tested was 1.2.2rc2.

if you happen to run an inetd-capable ftp daemon, use tcpserver as a
frontend [http://cr.yp.to/ucspi-tcp.html] which allows you to do very
paranoid checking and also good logging (with multilog of the
daemontools package).

you might check the -p option to tcpserver, as well as the magic rules
for tcprules files (acl files) for it. together with the -p optionto
tcpserver and the lines
    =:allow
    :deny
in your tcprules file, you drop not reverse resolvable adresses. do not
do this for anon ftp servers.
rule explanations at [http://cr.yp.to/ucspi-tcp/tcprules.html]

cheers,
/k

--
Yes, it is inconvenient.  Security and convenience are usually mutually
exclusive concepts. --Erik Trulsson on freebsd-stable, Jun 2001