Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Notice about seconds overroll - S7K bug

From: Robert Bihlmeyer <robbe () orcus priv at>
Date: 12 Sep 2001 12:05:13 +0200

Tonu Samuel <tonu () please do not remove this spam ee> writes:

I would like to make your attention on bug which was introduced tonight
and can affect some people who are using (var)char field to store
timestamp data.

Since the winnings are so slim, I hope not many people fell pray to
this bug. If you're gonna waste 5 bytes on convenience, wasting a 6th
to buy you peace at least until Unix doomsday does not seem too much.

If you were expecting speed earnings (no strtoul-ing the input) these
get pretty much zilched should you later compare the strings.

In MySQL we suggested people to use quotation marks around integer
values.

Which won't protect you from '; attacks, of course. So why not just
make sure that it is a real integer (ahem)? In Perl it would be as
easy as adding zero.

This is the reason why people put quotation marks around integer
expressions and this is correct.

Really?

But when both column is character type and expression, they get
compared as strings.

As is to be expected when you're lying to your software. The date types
are there for a reason.

--
Robbe