Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Possible Issue with Netinfo and Mac OS X

From: Marc Liyanage <liyanage () access ch>
Date: Mon, 3 Sep 2001 23:37:37 +0200

Other issues for OS X is that anyone could boot into single user mode and
have root with out any authentication. Although this usually isn't a problem
for servers, it is for computers used in K12 and higher education along with
kiosks.

I *think* this can be prevented by setting an Open Firmware password
on newer machines which support the feature.

This will prevent

- Single user boot
- Verbose boot
- Hitting the Alt key to select a different boot volume

and probably other stuff...

http://homepage.mac.com/codesamurai/.Public/Texts/Open%20Firmware%20-%20Password.txt

I'm not sure if they fixed that password bypass thing
by changing the amount of RAM, though. But at least
you have to open up the machine to do this.

-Marc

--
Marc Liyanage                                  liyanage () access ch
                                            http://www.entropy.ch

                                      Yoda I am. Grammar I can't.