Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: w00w00 on Microsoft IE/Office for Mac OS

From: kevin () vanhaaren net (Kevin van Haaren)
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2002 17:45:25 -0500

On Tue, Apr 16, 2002 at 10:52:02AM +0400, Matt Conover wrote:
w00w00 (http://www.w00w00.org)
Angry Packet Security (http://sec.angrypacket.com)

Vulnerability in Multiple Microsoft Products for Mac OS
HTML format: http://www.w00w00.org/advisories/ms_macos.html
Text format: http://www.w00w00.org/files/advisories/ms_macos.txt

SOFTWARE VERSIONS AFFECTED

Microsft Internet Explorer
Versions affected: 5.1
Platforms affected: Mac OS 8, 9, and X

Microsft Outlook Express
Versions affected: 5.0.2
Platforms affected: all Mac OS

Microsft Entourage
Versions affected: 2001 and X
Platforms affected: all Mac OS

Microsft PowerPoint
Versions affected: 98, 2001, and X
Platforms affected: all Mac OS

Microsft Excel
Versions affected: 2001 and X
Platforms affected: all Mac OS

Microsft Word
Versions affected: 2001
Platforms affected: all Mac OS

PRELUDE

A bug in Internet Explorer for Mac OS X was originally reported to
Microsoft by Josha Bronson of Angry Packet Security on January 4,
2002.

Due to some internal mishandling at Microsoft, this was brushed off
until w00w00 informed Microsoft of its intention to release the
information on February 17. We originally gave them a deadline of
two weeks until we discovered that this affected Entourage (the
Outlook-equivalent for Mac OS). When Microsoft determined this
affected most of their Office suite on Mac OS, we felt it was
appropriate to give them time to fix it.

Entourage is NOT the Outlook equivalent for the Mac.  The Outlook equivalent for the Mac is Outlook 2001.

<http://www.microsoft.com/mac/products/outlook/outlook_default.asp?navindex=s13>

Entourage can not connect to an Exchange Server.  Only Outlook 2001 (on the Mac) can.  Entourage is more of a Outlook
Express on steroids, POP3, IMAP and HotMail connections only.

<http://www.microsoft.com/mac/resources/resources_main.asp?EmbFName=chart.asp>

You don't appear to have tested this 3rd e-mail client for the mac (I don't have one handy to test on).

Kevin