Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: An alternative method to check LKM backdoor/rootkit

From: Paul Starzetz <paul () starzetz de>
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2002 15:54:26 +0200

Wang Jian wrote:

THE ALTERNATIVE METHOD

Our alternative method uses the first style: to find the differences
between the fake view and the real view.

We read the raw disk and traverse the filesystem on disk, bypass the
live filesystem, and create a real view of files on disk; then traverse
the live filesystem to get the fake view. Compare the two view, we can
find the differences. We will find the stealth files.

Be sure that this will be fixed in the next 'generation' of LRKM's.
Patching the device methods for disk special nodes is not a big deal -
why not to incorporate even your code into one of the nice LRKM's? You
probably found a weaknes of 'current' LRKM's but in general it is a bad
idea to check your machine while running a compromised kernel.

/ih