Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Amazon.com Password limit

From: jon schatz <jon () divisionbyzero com>
Date: 18 Apr 2002 23:51:33 -0700

On Wed, 2002-04-17 at 19:24, Vishal Ganeriwala wrote:
That means max password lenght
for amazon is 8 chars  . It truncts everything after 8
chars. and Amazon doesn't tell you to choose
password of maximum 8 chars .  I dont know security
implications . But the information is useful if one is
trying to bruteforce a account since he knows max
password lenght is 8 char .

On a similar note, I was trying to login to a MSN account via gaim. I
tried my hotmail email account as a username, and used my password. No
dice. After playing around for a while, I found that the limit for
Passport passwords is 15 characters (mine was longer). This is
(obviously) much more difficult to brute force than an 8 character
password, but unpublished password limits piss me off.

-jon

--
jon () divisionbyzero com || www.divisionbyzero.com
gpg key: www.divisionbyzero.com/pubkey.asc