Bugtraq mailing list archives

RE: Cross site scripting in almost every mayor website

From: "GreyMagic Software" <security () greymagic com>
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2002 22:43:38 +0200

Hello,

We have discovered this quite a while ago (when investigating GM#001-IE,
actually) and have verified it to work on the following
services/applications:

* hotmail.com
* msn.com
* yahoo.com
* mail.com
* iname.com
* lycos.com
* excite.com
* Qualcomm Eudora

The code published by SkyLined is obviously a slightly altered version of
the data binding code that appears in GM#001-IE (even the elements id's
remained the same), so we feel that an acknowledgment was in place.

Either way, we were planning to release this after we had the opportunity to
contact each and every vendor in the above list, but since this is out in
the open there's no reason for that now.

A little example of embedding an iframe:

<xml id="filter">
<i><b>
&lt;iframe
src="http://security.greymagic.com/adv/gm001-ie/"&gt;&lt;/iframe&gt;
</b></i>
</xml>

When trying to inject script into yahoo (and others) using events such as
onerror, yahoo tries to filter them out even if they appear inside the <xml>
element. This can be easily bypassed by using o&#110;error instead of
onerror, for example.

Regards.