Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: It takes two to tango

From: Tom Perrine <tep () SDSC EDU>
Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2002 10:53:04 -0700

On Wed, 31 Jul 2002 11:34:57 +0100, Chris Paget <ivegotta () tombom co uk> said:

    CP> <snip>

    >> "Ferson also said that HP reserves
    >> the right to sue SnoSoft and its members "for monies
    >> and damages caused by the posting and any use of the
    >> buffer overflow exploit."

    CP> This raises a very interesting point.  Bruce Schneier has stated
    CP> publicly that he believes vendors should be held responsible for
    CP> security flaws in their products
    CP> (http://www.nwfusion.com/columnists/2002/0422faceoffyes.html).  I
    CP> agree with this viewpoint, as, I am sure, do many people on this list.
    CP> However, how would this affect the vulnerability disclosure process?

Others, even some lawyers, agree:

http://www.gocsi.com/pdfs/byte.pdf

Erin also had a similar article in ;login: (requires USENIX
membership):

http://www.usenix.org/publications/login/2001-12/pdfs/kenneally.pdf

and most recently in IEEE Computer:

http://www.computer.org/computer/co2002/r6toc.htm

--
Tom E. Perrine <tep () SDSC EDU> | San Diego Supercomputer Center
http://www.sdsc.edu/~tep/     |