Bugtraq mailing list archives

RE: White paper: Exploiting the Win32 API.

From: "John Howie" <JHowie () securitytoolkit com>
Date: Wed, 7 Aug 2002 09:33:16 -0700

Chris,

You misunderstand (I think). Interactive services are a *bad idea*.
There is no need to have them. If you do have them they should not run
under the context of LocalSystem. A good developer will not use them as
there are alternatives. Microsoft does not recommend using interactive
services.

The Windows API has always allowed any window or user to send a message
to any window on the same desktop. That is how Windows works. I do
advocate Microsoft tightening this up but the problem still lies with
bad developers.

Regards,

John