Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: IE SSL Vulnerability

From: Paweł Krawczyk <kravietz () aba krakow pl>
Date: Sat, 10 Aug 2002 09:45:17 +0200

On Wed, Aug 07, 2002 at 12:24:19PM -0700, Mike Benham wrote:

First of all, https://www.thoughtcrime.org is NOT the demo site.  Several
people were confused by this email, and subsequently concluded that their
browser isn't vulnerable because they got an alert that the "name on the
certificate is invalid."  If you would like to see a demo of this
vulnerability, please email me offline.

By the way, I've performed full man-in-the-middle with a real bank
involved and myselft as victim. It's easy and works perfectly, so I've put
a brief description and screenshots at http://arch.ipsec.pl/inteligo.html
Details on programs' setup and fake certificate generation are omitted
not to provide script-kiddies with a ready recipe.

Actually, you can use Mike's https://www.thoughtcrime.org/ as demo
site but you first need to DNS spoof your browser into thinking
that www.amazon.com has address of 66.93.78.63, which is easy using
dnsspoof from dsniff for example.

--
Paweł Krawczyk, Kraków, Poland  http://echelon.pl/kravietz/