Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: IPv4 mapped address considered harmful

From: itojun () iijlab net
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2002 16:23:48 +0900

     the problem is that some protocol proposal do not consider IPv4 mapped
     address as "bogon" - they propose to actually use them in IPv6 traffic
     on wire.
They used to be bogons, so any currently existing bogon filters (e.g.,
in firewalls) will drop them. Only remove them from your bogon filters
when/if you decide you want them.

        no specification (as far as i know) never defined IPv4 mapped address
        to be bogons.  IPv6 address architecture document is silent about it.
        this is a part of the problem I would like to fix.
        if you have any opposite evidence (specified as bogon), let me know.

itoun