Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: DoS bug on Tru64

From: ellipse <elliptic () cipherpunks com>
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2002 10:48:18 -0700 (MST)

Today we were using nmap to scan our network and when we scanned our
Tru64 machines, telnet and ftp froze and timed out. We could not make
any connections to those ports and existing connections froze. New
connections were denied for about a minute after the scan was finished.
I've checked with Compaq and on Securityfocus and neither place has any
knowledge of this.
[...]
nmap -T Polite -O -p 23,139 -oM /tmp/lst 'xxx.xxx.16-44.*'

Why does this sound so familiar?  Would this not be an issue with inetd?
Sounds like it ....

I believe it's why D. J. Bernstein wrote tcpserver.  See:

http://cr.yp.to/ucspi-tcp.html

Cheers,
ellipse