Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: ICQ remote buffer overflow vulnerability

From: "'ken'@FTU" <franklin_tech_bulletins () yahoo com>
Date: Tue, 08 Jan 2002 17:06:24 -0500

elijah wright wrote:

This is very similar to the AIM overflow recently discovered.
ICQ protocol uses the same TLV (2711) packet and there is a similar
weakness in the parsing of the packet.

duh, that's because its essentially the same protocol.  :)

I disagree: there is an important distinction between the protocol (the rules) and the parsing of the data (the implementation).

ICQ clients should probably be viewed with the same suspicion as the
vulnerable AIM clients.

This assumes that the coders who developed ICQ made the same errors as the codes who developed AIM.

I happen to agree, but not because they use the same protocol. I agree because many programmers do not know how to code (and parse) safely...

'ken'