Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Apple OSX and iDisk and Mail.app

From: Eric Hall <bugtraq () darkart com>
Date: Wed, 24 Jul 2002 16:18:23 -0700

On Wed, Jul 24, 2002 at 10:06:27PM -0000, spam_bucket () mac com wrote:

Actually all I did was click on the SSL button and it seems to do everything over
SSL now. I'm using 10.1.5 and it "just works" and I cant see the stream anymore. As
a side effect it seems to also protect all of the email as well.

        I took a look w/ tcpdump, Mail.app IMAP+SSL appears to be fine, nicely
obfuscated.  Mail.app authenticated SMTP through smtp.mac.com appears to
try to start TLS, but the connection closes, a new port 25 connection is
opened and AUTH happens in the clear (AUTH=PLAIN) and the message is sent
in the clear.

                        -eric