Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Arbitrary Code Execution Vulnerability in VanDyke SecureCRT 3.4 & 4.0 beta

From: Bela Lubkin <belal () caldera com>
Date: Fri, 26 Jul 2002 15:41:10 -0700

Burton M. Strauss III wrote:

You know, that's only partially a solution.  For those of us who haven't
chosen to PAY for the upgrade to 3.4, we're left out in the cold.  Quoting
from VanDyke's web page:

"All users may evaluate SecureCRT 3.4 for 30 days free of charge. Registered
users who purchased licenses before July 1, 2000 should consult the Upgrade
Eligibility page to learn about licensing the 3.4 upgrade."

and

"SecureCRT Upgrade

Registered users who purchased licenses before July 1, 2001 may choose to
purchase SecureCRT upgrades starting at $39.95 for a single copy.

<snip />

SecureCRT users who purchased licenses between January 1 and July 1, 2000
are eligible to download SecureCRT 3.3.3 and upgrade without charge.
SecureCRT users who purchased licenses before January 1, 2000 are eligible
to download SecureCRT 3.2.1 and upgrade without charge."

I'm not unsympathetic to the need to have a licensing revenue stream, but
let's remember that this leaves (dozens? hundreds? thousands? Just me) of
your customers unprotected.

One of the README files on their site (I read it earlier today and
didn't note the URL) says that a patched 3.2.1 version will be made
available shortly.  They are not leaving you out in the cold.  You just
need to wait a couple of days before resuming your practice of ssh'ing
in to untrusted sites.

(BTW, if sshd on a site might be a corrupted, malicious trojan which
injects code into your local ssh client -- might it not also be a
corrupted, malicious trojan which records encrypted password
information, passes on a decrypted stream of everything you type in a
session, or who knows what else?  If you do not trust the sshd to which
you are connecting, I'm not sure it makes very much difference whether
the client has code-injection portholes or not...)

Bela<