Bugtraq mailing list archives

RE: Remote Compromise Vulnerability in Apache HTTP Server

From: "Marc Maiffret" <marc () eeye com>
Date: Mon, 17 Jun 2002 11:12:10 -0700

You bring up a good point David. Barely anyone in the Windows world is going
to sit and recompile their Apache versions especially with software like
Oracle that also uses Apache. ISS has left all these people in a _very_ bad
position.

It is worse than that though. According to Apache the ISS source code patch
does not even work.

Since there has actually been many chunked encoding vulnerabilities released
lately, and exploits (for win32) it only makes sense that it will take no
time for someone to develop an exploit for this Apache Win32 chunked
overflow, and then start using that to break into systems and what not.

Just read the Apache.org advisory:
"While testing for Oracle vulnerabilities, Mark Litchfield discovered a
denial of service attack for Apache on Windows.  Investigation by the Apache
Software Foundation showed that this issue has a wider scope, which on some
platforms results in a denial of service vulnerability, while on some other
platforms presents a potential a remote exploit vulnerability.
We were also notified today by ISS that they had published the same issue
which has forced the early release of this advisory."
Sounds like ISS rushed the release of this to beat you to it Litchfield.
That is rather poor on their part.

If someone has an Apache module that strips chunked encoding that _should_
at least give people a work around for this vulnerability for now. Not sure
if the module will process before Apache processes chunked encoding itself
but if it does it should work. We are currently looking into it.

Signed,
Marc Maiffret
Chief Hacking Officer
eEye Digital Security