Bugtraq mailing list archives

VPN and Q318138

From: "Lucas, Mark J." <mjlucas () dar caltech edu>
Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2002 16:01:01 -0700

I submitted the following to NTBUGTRAQ, but Mr. Cooper doesn't seem to think
it's worth posting.  I'd like a second opinion....   Thank you.

After applying Q318138, "Unchecked Buffer in Remote Access Service Phonebook
Could Lead to Code Execution", which was released last week, my Power Users
and Users could no longer connect to any VPN using the "connectoid" in
Network and Dial-up Connections.  The icon switched from a cloud to a red X.
Right clicking on the icon would bring up properties but "connect" was
grayed out.  Administrators could connect normally.  Dial-up connections
were unaffected.

If C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application
Data\Microsoft\Network\Connections\Pbk\rasphone.pbk was opened Power
Users/Users could connect normally, as well as being able to connect during
logon by checking the "Log on using dial up networking" check box.  While
connected this way, the connectoid in Network and Dial-up Connections showed
the normal cloud icon.  However, once disconnected, the icon immediately
switched back to the red X and a new connection could not be initiated
through Network and Dial-up Connections but it could be initiated through
rasphone.pbk.

A new VPN connectoid could be created in the Power User/User account and
would work normally until logoff.  When the Power User/User logged back on,
the connectoid would again be unusable.

A case was opened with Microsoft concerning this issue and they are aware of
the problem.

Uninstalling the hotfix on the clients immediately corrects the problem.

Mark J. Lucas, Sr. System Administrator
Development & Alumni Relations, Information Services
California Institute of Technology
Voice:  (626) 395-2177
Fax:  (626) 844-9356
mjlucas () dar caltech edu