Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Format String bug in TrACESroute 6.0 GOLD

From: Olaf Kirch <okir () caldera de>
Date: Fri, 7 Jun 2002 13:40:05 +0200

On Thu, Jun 06, 2002 at 08:13:39PM -0000, DownBload wrote:
TrACESroute is just another traceroute program. TrACESroute use RAW SOCKET,
so it must be run under root account, and because of that, traceroute
usually has attached suid bit.

I'll seize the opportunity to point to a traceroute reimlementation
I wrote that does not require any s bit. It uses the same Linux 2.4 kernel
features as tracepath from ANK's iputils package, but it walks and talks
pretty much the same as the original, i.e. I've tried to make it as compatible
wrt command line and output format as possible.

Oh, and it's a bit faster than the BSD traceroute because it sends
out several queries in parallel.

You can find this thing at http://verein.lst.de/~okir/traceroute.

Cheers
Olaf
--
Olaf Kirch        |  Anyone who has had to work with X.509 has probably
okir () caldera de   |  experienced what can best be described as