Bugtraq mailing list archives

Plain text DDNS password in NetGear FM114P backups

From: Marc Ruef <marc.ruef () computec ch>
Date: Thu, 10 Oct 2002 19:47:17 +0200

Hi!

I was checking the vulnerability "NETGEAR FVS318 Firewall Router
Username/Password Disclosure"[1] on my NetGear FM114P. My little box
doesn't store the web login username and password in plain text.

But the DDNS (DynDNS) account data is stored in plaintext; this problem
seems to be existent up to Firmware 1.3 Release 05. Also some
interesting informations like MAC address filtering table are stored in
plain text.

It could be that NetGear will encrypt the whole backup settings in an
upcoming firmware to serve additional backup security.

Bye, Marc

[1] http://www.securiteam.com/securitynews/5TP0Y008AQ.html

--
Computer, Technik und Security