Bugtraq mailing list archives

NFS Denial of Service advisory from Sun

From: "m g" <mg_outlaw () hotmail com>
Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2002 12:21:50 +0000

Hello all,

Today, Sun released an advisory (47815) about how the lockd can be used to cause a DoS of NFS. However they did not provide any details about how the lockd can be killed to trigger this. See http://sunsolve.sun.com/pub-cgi/retrieve.pl?doc=fsalert%2F47815&zone_32=category%3Asecurity

Does anyone know if this security issue is somehow related to the Bugtraq posting from Mike Murray about lockd and nfs on Linux from June 2000, see:
http://archives.neohapsis.com/archives/bugtraq/2000-06/0073.html

I currently don't have a Sun box available to test it myself, so perhaps someone else can verify this or provide me information about this.

Grtx Mike G. (not Mike Murray)

Unlimited Internet access for only $21.95/month.  Try MSN! http://resourcecenter.msn.com/access/plans/2monthsfree.asp