Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Linux Kernel Exploits / ABFrag

From: huang po <huangpo () hehe com>
Date: 17 Oct 2002 20:55:32 -0000

From: Peter Pentchev (roam () ringlet net)
Subject: Re: *BSD remote kernel-level (TCP/IP stack)
vulnerability! - ABFrag.c

Newsgroups: fa.freebsd.bugs
Date: 2002-09-23 07:04:01 PST

On Sun, Sep 22, 2002 at 03:51:54PM +0300,
cizbasa () info uvt ro wrote:
Hello,

First of all this is hear-say, but being from a
reliable source (imho),
here it is:

There supposedly is an exploit named ABFrag.c in the
wild that affects the
TCP/IP stack on *BSD systems, providing remote root
shell to the attacker.

There have been various rumours of exploits using
fragmented packets for
the TCP/IP stacks of various OS's in the past few
years.  I personally
find them very hard to believe: the TCP/IP stack is
part of the kernel,
and while it may be theoretically possible that the
fragmented packets'
handling is a bit off-base, it would be *very* hard to
write an exploit
that would perform a stack smash in the kernel, then
pass control to a
kernel routine that would start a userland process,
bind it to a
listening port, then make sure it starts up a shell.
Mind you, I am not
saying that this would be impossible, just very, very,
*very* much
improbable :)  Even if it were true, it would be very
much more harder
to write so that it would affect *different* OS's: the
differences in
the TCP stacks are not that large, but significant for
at least this
purpose.

The system of someone that I know has been rooted
using it (he was pasted
some lines from his /etc/shadow as proof).

Well, first of all, I assume you mean
/etc/master.passwd, because there
is no /etc/shadow in FreeBSD :)

Second, are you absolutely sure that your
acquaintance's system was not
"rooted" using another exploit?  Apache+OpenSSL and
telnetd come to mind
immediately, there were a couple of others in the past
few months.

G'luck,
Peter

--
Peter Pentchev  roam () ringlet net     roam () FreeBSD org
Key fingerprint FDBA FD79 C26F 3C51 C95E  DF9E ED18

Hi,
exist rumors about this exploit since 3 months. The
archive aparently exp=
lores
an imperfection in the TCP Sync (i dont know details
about problem). Due
to rumors, exist more two exploits for the problem
(maybe fake).
Some forums like ByteRage's PRIVATE forum was
dicussing it in private (it=

is bad to kids/defacers, but good to security
professionals and admins).
Thanks to you and all list readers...
Nilson Gomes