Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: PGP Corporation Beta License Agreement

From: Jon Callas <jon () pgp com>
Date: 18 Oct 2002 06:18:53 -0000

Can any one enlighten me on this statement in the PGP Corporation Beta
License Agreement?

YOU HEREBY EXPRESSLY CONSENT TO PGP'S PROCESSING OF YOUR
PERSONAL DATA
(WHICH MAY BE COLLECTED BY PGP OR ITS DISTRIBUTORS) ACCORDING
TO PGP'S
CURRENT PRIVACY POLICY.

This is one of those touchy situations with trust. If you read the Privacy
policy, non-personal information is spelled out clearly. But not where does
it state what "YOUR PERSONAL DATA" means.

The privacy policy, at <http://www.pgp.com/privacy.php> says, "Personal
information is any information associated with your name or personal identity. Non-
personal information is data about usage patterns, reported in aggregate, which is
not associated with a specific personal identity." Do we need to put an example
there?

What that statement means is that if, for example, you buy something from us, we
would use your personal address to ship you a package.

Some people have found this confusing, thinking that "PGP" refers to the software,
not the company. We're revising the license for a later beta or the real release, so
as to be clearer about this. We'll be sure to use "PGP Corporation" to be explicit.

If there are other things we can do to make it clearer that we make a commitment to
protect your privacy, please let me know. It's hard to get these things right, and
we're trying to eschew boilerplate, as boilerplate licenses frequently have things in
them none of us like. Send me mail, let me know what you find confusing, and I'll
look at it personally.

    Jon

--
Jon Callas