Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Cracking preshared keys

From: Michael Thumann <mlthumann () ids-guide de>
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2003 20:31:48 +0100

Noone was talkig about that IPSec isn't secure because of this attack scenario. We gave recommendations how to configure IPSec in a secure way with a proof of concept what might happen, if you don't. The described attack won't work too, if aggressive mode can be disabled as for example in Checkpoint FW-1, so it doens't depend only on a crackable PSK.

Using this attack every PSK is crackable, but good ones aren't crackable in an acceptable amount of time. I don't want to start another discussion about how to choose good password or preshared keys, I totally agree that you get a lot of security when you choose strong ones, but if you take a look at SANS TOP 20 ( http://www.sans.org/top20/ ) you can see that's still one of the most common problems in praxis.

So I think, that you can see that we don't have different point of views how to configure secure VPNs ;-)

At 00:08 24.04.03 +0000, David Wagner wrote:
Michael Thumann  wrote:
>we would like to announce the publication of a proof of concept paper 'PSK
>cracking using IKE Aggressive Mode'. Paper can be downloaded from
>www.ernw.de/download/pskattack.pdf .
[...]
>4. Of course the psk must be weak to crack it in an acceptable amount of time

Well, what did you expect?  In your example, the pre-shared key was
derived from the ``secret'' string "cisco".  Of course, if you choose
a key that the attacker can guess, the system won't be secure.  Surprise!

What do you expect IPSec to do if you give it an insecure, guessable key?
Noone claimed it would be secure in such a situation.

I find your recommendations hard to take seriously.  This is not a
vulnerability in IPSec, a good reason to disable vpn access, or anything
like that.  Just use some common sense in how you use the crypto.  If you
must use pre-shared keys, choose strong keys; or, use public keys instead
of pre-shared keying.  Surely you agree?

User: "Doctor, doctor, it hurts when I use insecure crypto keys."
Doctor: "Don't do that, then."

Michael Thumann        mlthumann@ids-guide       www.ids-guide.de
Public Key available at http://www.ids-guide.de/MichaelThumann.asc
The only secure computer is one that's unplugged, locked in a safe,
and buried 20 feet under the ground in a secret location...and i'm not
even too sure about that one
--Dennis Huges, FBI.