Bugtraq mailing list archives

SonicWall Pro DoS?

From: Greg Smith <gsmith () cybercrews com>
Date: 24 Apr 2003 23:04:13 -0000

Came across an apparent problem on a SonicWall Pro running firmware
version 6.4.0.1 ROM version 5.0.1.0 during a vulnerability assessment and
couldn't find any other postings on this problem so fwiw.. the problem
occurs when sending a large HTTP POST to the inside interface - may affect
others just didn't test as the outside interface was blocked.  I was able
to confirm this problem using two separate Nessus plugins (10012 and
10687). The behavior of the firewall suggests a buffer overflow but since
I'm not familiar with the internals of this system it's just a guess. 15-
20 seconds after sending the POST to the firewall the firewall goes
through a reset cycle. This delay suggests to me a section of code that is
being overwritten. At the very least, this is a Denial of Service problem.
Vendor was notified of the problem.