Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: @(#)Mordred Labs advisory - Integer overflow in PHP str_repeat() function

From: Jon Ribbens <jon+bugtraq () unequivocal co uk>
Date: Fri, 4 Apr 2003 21:20:13 +0100

Javi Lavandeira <javi () isr co jp> wrote:
You seem to be forgetting about PHP's safe_mode, disable_functions
and open_basedir directives. If configured properly, a user in a
server with PHP support should not be able to execute commands, read
other users' files or do anything outside his directory. Even though
PHP is running with the privileges of the web server, the user
doesn't have these privileges (again, if properly configured). Many
ISPs configure PHP in this way.

*IF* the overflow really exists *AND* is exploitable, I would be
very worried, because *THEN* users could gain the privileges of the
web server and do things they shouldn't be doing.

Then you should be very worried. Back in September 2000, Zeev Suraski