Bugtraq mailing list archives

RE: [Full-Disclosure] Microsoft MCWNDX.OCX ActiveX buffer overflow

From: "Drew Copley" <dcopley () eeye com>
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2003 15:48:06 -0700

-----Original Message-----
From: Jason Coombs [mailto:jasonc () science org]
Sent: Wednesday, August 13, 2003 12:36 PM
To: Thor Larholm; Tri Huynh; bugtraq () securityfocus com
Subject: RE: [Full-Disclosure] Microsoft MCWNDX.OCX ActiveX
buffer overflow

What about pointing the OBJECT tag codebase to a known, or
probable, location on the victim's own hard drive?

It apparently is not on people's systems, is the point. If it is not the
multimedia control and there is such an activex, then thor is correct,
and it can simply be pointed at remotely.

ActiveX never implemented any type of "same origin policy"
the way JavaScript does, so a local codebase reference should
work as a technique to silently activate any Microsoft-signed
ActiveX control.

Partly true, though I can't run files using activex on your system
locally, there are various checks now in place.

But I could be mistaken, this is commentary from memory not
experimental result.

I'd much rather spend my time conducting security audits of
Linux and trying to help those companies threatened by SCO's
copyright claims defend themselves in court.

I would rather be home, watching television, or playing a video game.
Actually, it would be nice to be surfing now. From a purely fantastical
viewpoint, I suppose bounty hunting would be a bit funner, or perhaps
being a professional hitman.

Now, back to complete seriousness.

Jason Coombs
jasonc () science org