Bugtraq mailing list archives

[ANNOUNCE] glibc heap protection patch

From: William Robertson <wkr () cs ucsb edu>
Date: Mon, 1 Dec 2003 11:31:03 -0800

Hi all,

I'd just like to announce that we have a heap protection system for glibc available for download. The system detects and prevents all heap overflow exploits that modify inline control information from succeeding against a protected application, can be installed system-wide or on a per-process basis using LD_PRELOAD, and is transparent to existing applications.

We would definitely appreciate any feedback and bug reports on the code. The patch and some additional information is available at:

http://www.cs.ucsb.edu/~wkr/projects/heap_protection/

Enjoy!

--
William Robertson
Reliable Software Group, UC Santa Barbara